3 Things You Didn’t Know Were Poisonous to Your Pet: Tips from a Vet in Richmond
The Web is a wonderful spot to learn about your beloved pet's needs. After all, having instant access to a plethora of important information makes understanding your dog or cat much easier. However, lots of dog and cat owners don't realize many common products could hurt their furry family members. Nearly everyone knows to keep chocolate and prescription medications out of reach, but there are plenty of other things that are equally hazardous. Since March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, it's a wonderful time to learn more about some common yet unexpected hazards. Keep reading to discover some items you might not recognize could hurt your pet.
You may not recognize xylitol by its name, but you most likely have it in your home. This artificial sweetener is used in many sugar-free products, especially candy and chewing gum. However, it’s not so sweet for dogs and cats. When eaten, Xylitol can cause your pet's blood sugar levels to drop. It has also been linked to life-threatening liver damage. With food manufacturers using this ingredient more often, it's showing up in new foods and snacks constantly. Xylitol is even found in some types of peanut butter. Be sure to read labels before giving your canine companion or feline friend human food!
2. Grapes and Raisins
You and your children might like snacking on grapes and raisins, but they are hazardous to your furry family member. Scientists are not quite sure precisely why these fruits are so poisonous to pets, but even consuming a few raisins or grapes may lead to renal failure.
Plants and pets aren't a great combination. Quite a few common houseplants are toxic to cats and dogs and may cause everything from minor stomach upset to severe organ damage and even death. Dracaena, philodendrons, snake plants, and aloe are just a couple of the plants that are poisonous to pets.
Caring For Pets Who Have Ingested Poisonous Substances
If you have any reason to think your furry friend may have ingested or been exposed to a toxic/poisonous substance, seek professional help immediately. Your pet requires an exam even if they have no visible symptoms. Contact the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information, including whether you need to see an emergency veterinarian.
If your cat or dog needs a veterinarian in Richmond, choose Embrace Veterinary Care. Our compassionate team provides both wellness and sick care and will give your pet the care they need. To find out more about us and our services or schedule an appointment, contact us today.