4 Pet Hazards to Avoid This Holiday Season


The holiday season is a time for family, friends, and of course, our furry friends. But as excited as your pet may be to join in on the festivities, it's important to be aware of the potential hazards that come along with this time of year. At Embrace Veterinary Care, we don’t want your pet to experience any emergencies this holiday season. That’s why we’re sharing a few of the most common hazards of this time of year. From Christmas trees to chocolate and everything in between, here are a few pet hazards to avoid this holiday season.

1. Christmas Trees

While a Christmas tree may be a staple in your holiday decorations, it can actually pose a serious threat to your pet. Between the heat of the lights, the water in the tree stand, and the temptation of chewing on ornaments, your pet could get into some serious trouble if left unattended around the tree. To avoid any accidents, make sure your Christmas tree is out of reach of your pet and supervised at all times when they are around it. We recommend carefully securing it to the wall, too, especially if you have cats. 

2. Chocolate

Chocolate is not only hazardous to pets but can actually be deadly. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to pets since it contains higher levels of cocoa powder which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and even heart arrhythmias. If you suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, reach out to us immediately

3. Open Flames

Whether it's candles or the fireplace, open flames are a hazard for pets during the holidays. In addition to potential burns from coming into contact with fire, pets can also knock over candles or knock items into the fireplace, which could cause a fire in your home. To avoid any accidents, keep all open flames out of reach of your pets, and never leave your furry friend unattended around fire. 

4. Holiday Plants

Poinsettias, mistletoe, holly...the list of holiday plants that can be poisonous to pets if ingested goes on and on. We recommend keeping these plants out of your home or, at the very least, out of your pet’s reach. However, if you suspect that your pet has eaten any part of a holiday plant, seek immediate veterinary care. Symptoms of plant poisoning in pets include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, tremors, and seizures, so it's important to seek help right away if you think they may have ingested something poisonous. 


The holiday season is a great time for celebrating with family and friends—pets included! Unfortunately, there are some potential hazards that come along with this time of year that every pet owner needs to be aware of. By keeping these potential hazards in mind, you can ensure a safe and healthy holiday for your pet.


Protecting Your Furry Friends: Identifying Toxic I...
Understanding (And Helping) Pet Anxiety

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Monday — Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
* Front desk and phones closed for lunch between 1-2 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Friday, Sunday and Holidays: Closed
Map & Directions

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.